site hit counter

≡ PDF Gratis Ride The Rising Tide The Maxwell Saga Book 2 eBook Peter Grant

Ride The Rising Tide The Maxwell Saga Book 2 eBook Peter Grant



Download As PDF : Ride The Rising Tide The Maxwell Saga Book 2 eBook Peter Grant

Download PDF  Ride The Rising Tide The Maxwell Saga Book 2 eBook Peter Grant

Trapped in the Dragon Tong's search for a lost legend, Steve Maxwell finds a way out by enlisting in the Lancastrian Commonwealth Fleet.

If he survives long enough to earn a commission, he'll be able to hunt down the pirates who killed his mentor. To get there, he'll have to slog through rain-swollen swamps, dodge incoming fire on a 'peacekeeping' mission, and face down a gang of angry smugglers. Even far away from enemies, a mistake can turn a spaceship into a deathtrap.

It'll take resourcefulness and courage to succeed... but Steve hasn't come this far in order to fail.

Ride The Rising Tide The Maxwell Saga Book 2 eBook Peter Grant

This is the second installment in "The Maxwell Saga" and this second novel is actually better than the first in my opinion. In this one, Steve Maxwell joins the Commonwealth Fleet, goes through boot camp, and so forth (no spoilers here). This novel's (and author's) strengths are a linear plot and characterizations that keep the reader interested in both the plot and the characters. This is no small thing, especially with a fairly new author. The writing is not top-notch, but it is good enough not to detract much, if at all, from most readers' enjoyment of the novel. I will say that these novels do not feature a whole lot in the way of new speculations. The Lancasteren Commonwealth is pretty much a combination of the US and Britain set amongst the stars, and none of the technological speculation is particularly innovative. This is both good and bad. Too many space operas focus 'way too much on technobabble -- pages and pages of explanation about how some imaginary technological device works -- that detracts from the story. You won't get that here -- there is just enough explanation about the technology to keep the story moving.

One kind of funny thing about these novels is the way Steve Maxwell just keeps scarfing up medals. Sure never happened to me when I was in the Army.

Overall, this is a good series that most "Space Opera" fans will enjoy. If you are somewhere where you need an easy and reasonably engrossing read, this will probably fill the bill. But be sure to start with volume 1.

Product details

  • File Size 2140 KB
  • Print Length 267 pages
  • Simultaneous Device Usage Unlimited
  • Publisher Fynbos Press (July 13, 2013)
  • Publication Date July 13, 2013
  • Sold by  Digital Services LLC
  • Language English
  • ASIN B00DYUEEQE

Read  Ride The Rising Tide The Maxwell Saga Book 2 eBook Peter Grant

Tags : Ride The Rising Tide (The Maxwell Saga Book 2) - Kindle edition by Peter Grant. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Ride The Rising Tide (The Maxwell Saga Book 2).,ebook,Peter Grant,Ride The Rising Tide (The Maxwell Saga Book 2),Fynbos Press,Fiction Science Fiction Military,Fiction Science Fiction Space Opera
People also read other books :

Ride The Rising Tide The Maxwell Saga Book 2 eBook Peter Grant Reviews


I really enjoyed the book. I found it engrossing.

First off, no (or nearly no) typos or errors. That impressed me a lot. Second, I really enjoyed the way that the book spanned about 7 years and we jumped between interesting moments of Maxwell's life. I feel like too many space opera or military sci fi books have a complete chronology. The result is either something that isn't believable (i.e. one exciting event after another... all by the time the main character is 20) or it gets repetitive. I'm also enjoying that we get to see Maxwell as he develops over his career from a 20 year old to a 27 year old young man. I hope that book three continues in this way and that Maxwell's thought process and way of looking at the world continues to mature as he does.

Third it was a great story with believable characters I was happy to identify with (although Maxwell seems to have very few faults). My only other comment is that I wouldn't mind if Maxwell was exposed to some more morally gray situations in the course of his military service (not just in things involving the Tongs) Personally, I find the military aspect much much more interesting than the Tongs, but I am interested to see how that all wraps up.
I don't think it's a stretch at all to compare this author to Heinlein. It's a coming of age story with a young protagonist who, basically, is favored with so much luck as to be unbelievable. It's not a heavy tome, and its best audience is a younger audience. I don't say this as if it's a bad thing...I'm over a half-century old and thoroughly enjoyed Harry Potter. In fact, these novels strike many of those same notes, as well.

I appreciated much of the "fleshing out" that some reviewers had minor quibbles with and it's one of the reasons I think this is a great read for younger folk. The author took great pains to build a considerably well-thought out evolution of a future military iteration and it is good to see libertarian themes so well expressed.

I read the first book in the series (Taking the Star Road) and I think I truly enjoy where Mr. Grant is taking me. I look forward to subsequent volumes. I should probably note that I tend not to favor serial novels. This is a notable exception.
If you are a fan of Nathan Lowell's Ishmael Wang series then you will find another fun series along that line. The author does a good job of progressing the story without making you feel like you went with the character through his years. Instead it is like snippets of life so you continue to see the character grow. The only part that slightly confused me was how the Dragon Tong portion of the story was slow minimally played with whole sections of the book left to the imagination of the reader and no knowledge of what the character was doing to push that story till almost near the end. Still a phenomenal book.
Enjoyable story. Couldn't put it down until I'd read all 4 books (all that is currently available). I am posting mostly the same review on all four since now that I've read them all it is harder to write a review that targets each specific one and the author deserves a good review for all the books that form the story.

If you enjoy coming-of-age, sci-fi, stories that have both good and bad things that happen, but also that the main character is actually a Good person, I would strongly recommend this book to you. The only part I would like to see that the book was missing (the only reason I give it four stars instead of five) is an epilogue that mentions some of the characters that you meet during the story that are important at the time, but you don't see again. It feels like they helped the main character become a better person, but it too easily forgets that they are part of the story too.
This is the second installment in "The Maxwell Saga" and this second novel is actually better than the first in my opinion. In this one, Steve Maxwell joins the Commonwealth Fleet, goes through boot camp, and so forth (no spoilers here). This novel's (and author's) strengths are a linear plot and characterizations that keep the reader interested in both the plot and the characters. This is no small thing, especially with a fairly new author. The writing is not top-notch, but it is good enough not to detract much, if at all, from most readers' enjoyment of the novel. I will say that these novels do not feature a whole lot in the way of new speculations. The Lancasteren Commonwealth is pretty much a combination of the US and Britain set amongst the stars, and none of the technological speculation is particularly innovative. This is both good and bad. Too many space operas focus 'way too much on technobabble -- pages and pages of explanation about how some imaginary technological device works -- that detracts from the story. You won't get that here -- there is just enough explanation about the technology to keep the story moving.

One kind of funny thing about these novels is the way Steve Maxwell just keeps scarfing up medals. Sure never happened to me when I was in the Army.

Overall, this is a good series that most "Space Opera" fans will enjoy. If you are somewhere where you need an easy and reasonably engrossing read, this will probably fill the bill. But be sure to start with volume 1.
Ebook PDF  Ride The Rising Tide The Maxwell Saga Book 2 eBook Peter Grant

0 Response to "≡ PDF Gratis Ride The Rising Tide The Maxwell Saga Book 2 eBook Peter Grant"

Post a Comment